Thursday, May 17, 2007

First Aid Training

I am already trained in Basic First Aid, CPR and AED through the Red Cross. It is part of a program here at work, and we renew the training every year. I have always been disappointed in the training though, because it has been very basic, and the answer to most questions is "the average EMT response time in this area is 7 minutes. Just do these simple things, and then wait."

That is all well and good if you are in the city. Since I frequenty go away from the city I have always wanting to know more. Especially since the family will be going with me, and more and more as they get older. My inital look at more training found that there was not much for the average person, and geared more towards EMTs or nurses.

I finally came across this program: The Wilderness Medical Center

It is a requirement for US Forest Service backwood guides, and any many other outfitters as well.

I have also spoken with people that have taken the course, and they have had nothing but good things to say about it. I have also been told that there have been a lot of doctors and EMTs to take this course and learn quite a bit about how to do stuff without fancy equipment at their disposal.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so I will have to sacrifice 5 of my vacation days to be able to do this next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home