Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Oil in April

I heard a report on the radio this morning that the world’s oil consumption for the month of April has been the highest ever. Not the highest for the month of April, but the highest in terms of billions of barrels. We haven’t even hit summer yet!

I tend not to believe stuff when I first hear it, so I have tried finding the figures for myself, but have not come up with anything (I do have to work too).

Even so, I fear that current price at the pump hike is due mostly to record high demand outpacing supply. If this is truly the case, it could be one ugly summer.

Even if this is not the case, I really think that everyone needs to start thinking about what they can do daily with their lives that can reduce their dependency, and therefore the overall demand for oil.

I am one of those people that do not think that the small actions that I take will make a difference and save the world. I always know that whatever I do, there will still be gluttons out there abusing resources. There is nothing that can be done about that; because this is supposedly a free country (won’t get into that). If you are like that as well, then make changes in your lifestyle for selfish reasons. If we ever get to a point where oil is too expensive, rationed, etc you will already put yourself much further ahead of everyone else by being ready. If some of these fears never come to fruition, so what? More than likely you are already better off, healthier and happier anyway. So, what do you have to lose?

I am not going to tell you all the things that you can do to make a difference. There are plenty of private and government websites out there that can tell you all that good stuff. I just suggest you look at that stuff, and how it can benefit you rather than with the pessimistic attitude of “it won’t change anything.”

The one thing I will give warning about. People tend to not look at the big picture and the irony they create by doing so. For example, riding your bike to work to save fossil fuels, and then spending money on a new flat screen TV. The resources necessary to manufacture such an item probably far outweigh the ones you saved by riding your bike. Vote with your money too! It is what people will listen to the most.

I am stealing this quote from a friend’s website. But, I came across it, and it seems applicable here:

"We must be the change we wish to see." -Gandhi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home