Saturday, October 6, 2007

I Polished My Marbles

Marbles is a knife company, by the way : )

This is a knife that I have had around for awhile. It has a lot of sentimental value. Marbles is a company that used to make knives in Michigan's UP. You could stop in right at the factory and buy one. Today, I think someone bought out the company. While they are still making similar knives, I can no longer be sure where they are made :(

Anyway, Jen and I bought this one at the factory on her first UP camping trip we went on way back when. That is one of the reasons I liked it so much.

A few years ago, I shot a deer up in the UP in the late morning. We hunt sun up to sundown there, and I was miles away from my friends and camp. I field dressed the deer, but forgot a little bone saw that I usually carry to cut the pelvic bone. So, I decided to just cut through it, which probably would have been fine. But, my wrist slipped, and I twisted the blade taking a chip out.

I was pretty bummed. At the time, and even recently, this type of repair was beyond my abilities. Being anal about a chip in the blade, I knew I probably would not use this knife again, and considered it ruined.

This knife also has a convex edge on it. Since I now considered this knife "ruined" I figured I would practice my convex sharpening on it, with a mousepad and sandpaper. I got it sharp, but managed to scratch the heck out of the blade. You can see the scratches and the chip in the first two pictures.





A closer view of the chip.




Today, I decide to fix the knife up, and put the original convex edge back on using a belt sander. I really polished the edge up, and wish I would have spent more time taking the pictures to really show that. Here are the after pictures.















































I couldn't have been happier with the way this turned out. Not only is the chip gone, but the knife is much sharper than it has ever been before. I look forward to getting to use it again.

1 Comments:

At December 10, 2007 at 4:30 AM , Blogger American Bushman said...

Great job on that blade cleanup. It looks practically brand new.

B

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home